Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Posting Duties and Writing Triumphs

I promised myself that I would begin posting every Monday on my blog. I skipped yesterday due to my Internet connection being lost among the stars, in the ether, whatever you want to call it. Luckily, my friend Kim fixed it for me. She's the one who had originally fixed up my wireless connection in the first place. What am I going to do when she graduates from college and moves God-only-knows-where? She will definitely be leaving Atlanta, because she is going to get married next June, to my old roommate, Jeff. Because his job possibilities are narrower--he's pretty darn specialized, so she will be following his career path...at least physically. Right now, he's at the Open University in Great Britain, on a post-doctorate research fellowship. The fellowship finishes up next fall. His future after that is kind of up in the air. But both Jeff and Kim are smart cookies and I'm sure they will be fine. I just hope they end up some place fun to visit.

My writing is going slowly, but well. I've been wrestling with how to write about Tunisia. Originally, my entire capstone project was supposed to be travel writing essays, but I don't feel like I've traveled quite enough to do what I originally intended. It's turned into more personal essays...although most of them include some sort of movement from place to place. That's travel (loosely).

About Tunisia..I decided to turn the piece into a reflection on the fact that I'm not as brave as I always wanted to be, a piece on how discombobulated I felt while I was there, but also on how I felt so well loved and taken care of while I lived with the Ben Saids. Although it is progressing slowly, more slowly than I wanted it to be, it's also going well. I'm happy.

Oh my lord! How often do I say I'm happy with how my writing is going? Not often enough. It's good that I've decided to celebrate my triumphs as well as whine about my pitfalls. That's kind of a breakthrough for me.

No comments: