Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Musings on Religion and Good Thoughts for a Friend

Just a quick note to let you all know that I took a seminar with Barbara Winter, the author of Making a Living Without a Job and it was worth every penny I paid...which you can't say about every seminar. I'll expand on what I learned later.

Right now, I want to make a comment on all those people who say "oh, I'm not religious, I'm spiritual." It's a phrase that makes me crazy. It has no meaning. Do they just commune with some fuzzy warm feeling? Hug actual trees? I don't know. And believe me, I'm no evangelist. Heck, I can't even spell it. (Well, let's face it. I can't spell without spell check anymore, even if it's just the word "a.") But here's the rub. There is very little in the world that is more heartbreaking and terrifying than when you are going through a spiritual upheaval, whether that is because you feel that God isn't answering your prayers or because the very human leaders of your church are failing in their leadership in some way. (As all humans eventually do.) Terrifying, depressing, anxiety-producing.

Will all of you say a prayer for my friend who is going through a spiritual upheaval right now? Just refer to her as "W" as you lift her up. (And no, this isn't a thinly veiled reference to me, but she might not want her business spread all over the internet through my blog. And there ARE other people in the world whose names begin with W.) Even if you aren't a regular church-goer, but are "spiritual" (and now mad at me because of my comment above), please send good thoughts her way. I do believe in Karma...although not necessarily in the Buddhist way--more like the connection all humans have through the Holy Spirit.

Thanks everybody.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Willena! Thank you for this. It's been so long since I visited *anyone's* blog, but I am ashamed to admit I am just now seeing this.

I was set free from the spiritual tyranny on Dec. 23, but it was only last night I was able to bring myself to post my testimony on my blog. But it won't be completely over for me for a long time to come, because my daughter remainst staunchly, stedfastly, blindly loyal to these very spiritual "leaders."