Sunday, July 30, 2006

Discipline, cont'd

My friend Jess (see comment on July 18 blog post) said that energy and structure are needed for discipline. I concur. But then, what supports energy and structure? Discipline.

It's a catch-22. It's an Escher drawing.

So I 'm trying to take the sting out of this area of my life by saying that discipline is just the development of good habits.

And current popular wisdom says that you can develop a new habit within 21 days.

Oh, the first 21 days will be hard, I understand. But after that, then you have the habit and it's easier to stick with whatever you are trying to do. (I usually read this advice in connection with developing the habit to exercise.)

I am also contemplating the advice to people who are trying to train their dogs: Saying "No" doesn't work. You are supposed to give a dog something else to do, if your dog is doing what you don't want him to do. Say "sit," instead of telling him "no," when he's jumping up on someone, for instance.

So, can we use these 2 pieces of advice to become more disciplined?

If, instead of telling myself "no, I shouldn't be doing this" when I turn on the television, can I substitue calling a friend up, or cooking an elaborate meal, or -egads!- perhaps, WRITING?

Or instead of eating bags of chips mindlessly, can I substitute a stretching routine?

And can I try this for the next 21 days?

Are you undisciplined? Have you figured out what's stopping you? And do you have any hints or techniques for overcoming being undisciplined? Please share.

1 comment:

Willena said...

Actually, I know of a lot of writers who, like King, are exceedingly prolific. Meg Cabot, of Princess Diaries fame, is one of those. In fact, she writes so much that sometimes I wonder if she has something wrong with her! Actually, I really admire her.

Is it easier if your "day job" is writing? If so, how do you make the transition from "day job" where someone else is paying you to "day job" where all your income is generated from writing?

Transition periods are always interesting...

And discipline is a problem for a lot of us, but not for all of us.