Monday, July 03, 2006

Writing and Voice

I was talking to my friend Jessica yesterday, and we were talking about the fact that sometimes the only creative writing we do is blogging. It's not always enough, but at least it is something. She has two blogs: The Other Invisible and A Woman Visible

Do you think she's got a thing about visibility? Uh, yeah.

She's recently been blogging about writing and voice. When I read her words, I can absolutely hear her voice in my head. When I read my friend Chad's blog, I hear his voice in my head! Sometimes, I don't "get" blogs, if they don't have a real definitive voice.

I wonder if I have a "voice" here? I don't really think I've developed one, for blogging at least, because this blog is used for the "serious topic" of creativity. And as Jess says, voice changes depending on what one is writing.

I do know that sometimes I have to try hard to make my blog posts readable. I have a tendency to write in the longest sentences known to mankind. I am always re-writing things, even blog posts, in order to do away with dependent clauses. No, I do not write run-on sentences. Grammatically, my sentences are very well structured. But I can have dependent clauses within other dependent clauses! (And yes, you can start a sentence with the word "but." "But" is a coordinating conjuction, not a subordinating conjunction. Don't be old-fashioned! And yes, you can start a sentence with "and.")

But is this voice? Voice has to do with grammar and sentence structure, but also with point of view. Have I really developed a point of view, particularly on the subject of creativity? I suppose the reason that I blog about creativity is because I want to develop a point of view on the subject. I use my blog to do so. It's a damn sight cheaper than discussing the subject with a therapist!

Here's a shout-out to two of my Tunisian friends, Rami and Ahmed. And here is their picture, for the viewing pleasure of the females in my audience. I'll include pictures of my Tunisian sisters within the next post or two, for the viewing pleasure of the males in my audience.

No comments: