Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Discipline, still

O.k., so you might be getting tired of the subject of discipline, when this blog is supposed to be about creativity.

But right now, of course, I am sort of stuck on the topic of how discipline affects creativity. Or, in my case, how the lack of discipline is adversely affecting my creative output...it's been nil.

I am wondering, if, instead of trying to adopt new habits one at a time--primarily, turning off the television and setting aside a set time to write--if I should try to make the grand gesture and adopt a new life-style all at one time. Can I cut out television, write the Great American Young Adult Novel, diet and exercise, all at the same time?

In a way, I think it might be easier. Doesn't one bad habit just feed another? Don't I overeat in front of the television? Don't I use television as a distraction, and get so distracted that I don't write? And if I'm watching one more decorating show, I'm not exercising to an exercise tape, am I?

How did I come to this state of television taking over my life? I remember when I was a child, and going to gymnastics practice all the time, I didn't watch the television shows that all my friends were watching. John Travolta on "Welcome Back Kotter?" Saw maybe two episodes in my life. I watched the Fonz on "Happy Days" several times--it came on right as I got home from gymnastics practice. I'd lay on the couch in front of the tv, watch that one show then go to bed.

Now, it's a loud, constant companion.

What are we doing to our children, sitting them in front of the television and computers all day. Will they be able to cope with quiet? Can they converse with friends? What will parents do when they can't take their computer game modules on long plane rides? I know if I've developed this bad habit as an adult, then it is worse for children who have had television as their babysitter all their lives.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It looks like you and I have something else in common besides our name and our love of writing.

I don't mind my kids spending time in front of the computer, as long as they continue to exhibit the good signs of imagination and other interests, as they do now. It helps that I designed a reading contest for them at the beginning of the summer... a penny a page. I hope it doesn't break me!!

I have recently learned that my bad eating habits, combined with lack of exercise and not getting enough sleep, are more than just bad habits. I can't eat wheat or sugar any more without plunging into depression for the next three days. And dairy products play other nasty tricks on me.

You are wise if you listen to the warnings now when you are still young... I wish I had. Maybe it wouldn't be so hard now.

I'm glad I found your blog again... I lost the link when my husband got me set up on a new computer. It's been a very busy summer for me too. A GOOD summer. :-)