Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Distraction and Forgetting


Yesterday was bad and today will be worse.
Nothing terrible happened yesterday. No, it's just that I didn't accomplish the creative work that I wanted to. I will say that I worked on my memoir, and made a break-through that will help me get it completed. Yahoo! But once you make a break-through, don't you want to stay with it? Isn't it just torture to have to put it away and do other things? I had to put away my memoir and go to stats class, because that's how I'm making my paltry living right now, grading stats homework for Prof. L. Once that attention was broken, I couldn't seem to get back to it. Plus, I was exhausted by a late night the night before, so I ended up falling asleep for an afternoon nap. Then, of course, I had to go to my Monday night class, Literacy Studies. Back home, I ate dinner, then went back to bed.

Today, I'll have to dedicate my time to grading stats homework. And it will probably take all day, with one break to go to campus and pick up more stats homework. So this blog is all the creativity that I'll indulge in.

But the cool thing about keeping this blog is that it is at least one creative outlet that I can indulge in and feel like I accomplished something. Finishing a post is like finishing a project, and it's wonderful to have a sense of completion. Maybe there is something to be said about small projects...hum. Let's ponder that.


Addendum
O.K., confession time. I just realized that I did do something else creative yesterday, besides working on my memoir. I worked on my personal website. It's so weird that I didn't remember that when I was looking back over my day. I think it's a fault of mine that I don't always give myself credit for the work that I do. Do you folks do the same? Do you negate some of the work that you are doing, just because you haven't gotten to finish it? Another something to ponder.)

1 comment:

SappyChick said...

It is frustrating when those other responsibilities have to come before your writing, especially when you're on a roll!

I don't write at my full-time job (anymore, loooooong story), and my duties are rather monotonous and mundane. So, thinking about what I want to be writing, but being stuck there is maddening.

I totally get where you're coming from. By the way, have you ever read/looked at A Writer's Book of Days by Judy Reeves?

It has a writing prompt for each day of the year as well as awesome quotes from writers and valuable advice. Even though I don't do one every day and even though a mere handful of them have turned into anything more than a few paragraphs, it's the experience that's so rewarding.

And I'm finding blogging becoming so important to the writing process. April 1st marks my "blogaversary," and I can tell how much my writing has improved.