Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Research Surprise


I'm still trying to get my new paranormal off the ground...I'm stymied on whether or not the male lead (notice I use the film term rather than the lit term "hero"...hero is such a loaded word) works with wood or is a master glass craftsman. Part of the story is set in Ireland, the historic home of Waterford Crystal. (And if you know me, you know that I have a slight passion for cut crystal. If I were rich, I would certainly own more.)

Did you know that Waterford's factory in Waterford, Ireland had been closed down last year? I did not. Oh, I knew that they were in financial difficulty, but I had not realized how bad it was.

Nor had I realized that they retired my crystal pattern...My crystal pattern: silly to state it that way, when I do not have a whole collection, but buying a whole set had been the idea at one point in my life. Merrion is what it was called. And I really bought it because I couldn't afford Colleen, a beautiful pattern with lots of cuts and, more importantly, with a knob in the middle of the stem--that adds to the price in a big way. That knob makes the stem that much harder to cut. (That's a piece of Colleen in the pic.)

I can still use the glass cutter idea...after all, my male lead lived "way back when" (I've not exaclty settled on when).

But I still have to do research on wood workers...

No comments: