Sunday, January 03, 2010

Word Choice...

I am writing this post today in response to Patti's 1880s Settlement's comment on my last post regarding my visit there. I want to apologize to Patti's for my use of the term "tourist trap." I happen to LOVE tourist traps, although now that it has been pointed out to me, I do admit that the term is loaded and usually seen as derogatory.

My family traveled a lot when I was younger. We hooked up the Holiday Rambler to the back of the Suburban and off we went. Mostly, I loved traveling that way. One big disappointment, however, was my father's refusal to stop at anything that remotely resembled a "tourist trap." I yearned to stop at the alligator farms, the oddly-shaped restaurants, anything with a gaudy sign. Alas, he would refuse. Now, when I am driving myself, I make a point to jump off the freeway to see the flea markets, the boiled peanut and peaches stands, tons of Stuckey's souvenir stands/restaurants, and tourist traps with gaudy signs. As I pointed out, Patti's had a nice brown sign put up by the Department of Transportation on interstate 24, so officially, it isn't a tourist trap...but in my personal parlance, the term is actually a compliment indicating someplace unusual and fun to visit.

I think it is fun to visit, although, as I mentioned, I went on one of the five days of the year the place is closed. My brother-in-law says that the restaurant is really good. I do plan to go back...when it's warmer.

As a writer, I think about word choice. I'm just not that careful when I blog.

Are there any words that you use in an idiosyncratic way?

1 comment:

JNettles said...

Word choice is extremely important! I'm like you--I like tourist traps. They are curious and sometimes have treasures that no one thinks about. Glad you had a great time!

J