Monday, September 04, 2006

Rory Stewart


I tried to post yesterday, but as I the server seemed to go down just as I hit "post" and all those beautiful words went "bye-bye." Oh well. I was probably gushing anyway. I had started with the words "I have a new hero."

I was flipping channels yesterday when I ran across Rory Stewart speaking about his new book on CSpan2/Book TV. The Places in Between is the story of his 600 mile walk across Afghanistan.

I find the fact that he has walked across Afghanistan fascinating enough, but combine that with the fact that he is a British diplomat and has had postings in both Kosovo and Iraq, and more importantly, is one of the most cogent speakers on the Iraqi situation that I have ever heard speak, and I tell you, I think he's one of the most admirable people that I've run across in a long time.

Granted, I've not actually read his book (yet). He may be a crackpot. But he really didn't seem that way when speaking. I admire someone who can operate in diplomatic circles, then shuck his suit and tie and go adventuring.

To me, it seems that he has both intelligence and a creative spirit. And, having written two books, he obviously has good butt-time skills. I admire that too.

(P.S. For those who don't know the "butt-time" reference, I picked it up from Patricia Sprinkle, a Georgia mystery novelist. She says the one most important skill that writers need it the ability to do "butt-time"--the ability to keep your bottom in the chair long enough to get your book written. It's a skill I admire, because it doesn't come easily to me.)

No comments: