Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Big Dreams, Tiny Budget

How do other people make money? I was brought up in a home where the dad did the dad thing, working for a giant corporation and the mom stayed home and did the mom thing, hauling the kids to school in the morning and afterschool activities in the afternoon. Even after the parents divorced, the mom went to work teaching--a safe and secure job.

I teach too, and I really like doing it. (I don't like to grade however...I like to give feedback, but not set a points value on errors. I think grades can be tremendously discouraging.) I, however, am teaching in a non-remunerative environment. I'm an adjunct.

Over the course of my life, I didn't really have role models of entrepreneurship, so I am left floundering, trying to figure out how to make money out of my creative endeavors. Maybe I just don't spend the hours in the day that it takes to market myself and my products...

2 comments:

Loretta Paraguassu said...

The Sahara! Tell me about it...was it recent? And who was taking the photo?

If you're making a living right now, you're doing well. Don't feel bad. Tell me what you'd like to market and maybe I can give you some pointers.

Love,
Loretta

Willena said...

Loretta,

I thought I had told you about my time in Tunisia...where I fulfilled a lifelong dream of riding a camel across the Sahara and sleeping under the stars...well, in a tent under the stars. In a very, very, very cold tent under the stars. The Sahara might be blazing hot in the day, but it drops toward freezing at night, not matter if it's June.

We should get together and you can help me plan.